Toasty: Ashes of Dusk Dev Log - June
Hello fellow Geldians! We hope y’all have been having a great start to your summer and are staying safe. It’s yours truly, Tanya, here to give you the low down of what the team has been up to throughout the month of June!
As previously mentioned in the last development update, we have decided to hold a production Kickstarter in the upcoming future. The team has been busy with our publisher planning all the details and coming up with some really cool rewards for each tier. We are super excited for this and cannot wait to share more information on that. It would mean so much to us if you could follow us on Kickstarter. By doing so, you will be first to know once we launch! You can follow our Kickstarter page here:
Same as last time, I will break up the update into 4 main categories: Art/Assets, Programming, Narrative/Concept, and General.
Art / Assets
Brian has been bustin’ out all the moves in the month of June with tackling some more exciting assets, and has moved into the realm of animation. Ivy, like always, has been working that brain stuff to whip up all different types of concept art. Some of the things worked on by these two are below:
- Hammer (key item) action animations
- Began animating the Phantern (key item)
- Menu asset creation
- Further dungeon designs
- Creating new NPCs and getting their concept art down
Faulty has been focusing on some technical details that have proved to be quite the challenge for him. But like normal, he has been thinking outside of the box to come up with those solutions. Our composer, Seii, is also now a part of our programming team! She has finished her schooling and is jumping in to assist Faulty with the many tasks ahead. We are super excited to have her join this side of development and cannot wait to see what she whips up! Here is a break down of what they have been working on in the month of June:
- Improvements to the workflow of creating levels with the GMS2 room editor
- The workflow will now look roughly like the below:
- Select which template to use (Overworld, dungeons, interior house... etc)
- Create a child room of that template
- Select what tiles to use
- Place the tiles and objects in the room
- Marshmallow health pickup (healing)
- Began working on the many key item pickups
- Working out the pause menu animations
- Improvements to the depth sorting system
Narrative / Concept
The directors have been having weekly brainstorming sessions to work out those important game details. There are many things that go into the making of concepts, and the points listed below have quite an extensive list of details to go through. June brainstorms include:
- Brainstorming more dungeon details and ideas
- How to work in the key item mechanics
General / Community
With the revamps to all our social media platforms, we are brainstorming new ideas and jumping onto more exciting things! We have been staying consistent with the following:
- Our June Pride issue of the The Geldian Gazette was sent out to our awesome mailing list friends! If you would like to join our mailing list, just click here
- Social media channels have been having daily posts (with some exceptions of course), with new content and behind the scene sneak peeks
- Our new and improved game trailer was released at the beginning of June, if you have not seen it yet, you can check it out on our steam page, right at the top
This pretty much sums up the main things the team has been busy working on throughout the month of June! We continue to be blown away by our community, y’all motivate us in pushing through the hard times so that we can all celebrate the outcomes together. Thank you for being a part of this community and constantly giving us your love and support, it means the world to us!
Until Next Month!
Your Toasty:AoD Community Manager,
Get Toasty: Ashes of Dusk
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.